Tuesday, February 3, 2009

First Post

This is my first entry into what will hopefully be my online journal of thoughts and connections that I perceive about the world around me. I have been intending on doing this for some time now and finally consider myself ready for the commitment that a blog takes from a writer. We will see if that level of commitment is truly present or if I must wait a few more years before I am actually ready.

Today my wife and I saw Gran Torino at the local theater. We decided to watch that movie over the others currently playing because we both intended on seeing it in the theater, and we knew that it was most likely not going to still be showing the next time we went out to see a movie. My wife and I both greatly enjoyed that film. It was well directed and well cast. It also left the viewer with something to think about once the movie was over. On the way home from the movie we spent some time discussing what the cultural insights the movie was setting forth. One thing that we agreed on was that the movie was portraying the older generation as coming from a time in America when family actually meant something. The movie went on to show a connection between the traditional American family image and that of some foreign groups that immigrate into the United States. In the movie the main character feels more of a connection with the foreign family that lives next door to him then he does with his own family. This may be because his family is just hanging over him waiting for him to die like a flock of vultures. I have to admit that I am not very family oriented myself, but this does make me consider if in this country the extreme disassociation some have with their family,s is very healthy. I suppose it is something I will have to ponder on for a while.

Anyway, I will be posting here whenever something interests me or I see a connection between things that is not obvious on casual inspection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment